Privacy By Design
PlaceSpeak is a Privacy By Design Ambassador.
In order to accurately geo-authenticate a participant, PlaceSpeak collects personal information (address, email address) for the purposes of identifying and verifying individuals. It uses automated and opt-in mechanisms for this verification process. As a proactive consideration, PlaceSpeak ensures that participant users' privacy is protected by handling personal information in a minimal, secure, deliberate and intelligent manner. Our platform seeks to enhance participatory democracy, civic engagement and improve the public consultation process, while preserving the privacy of our users.
PlaceSpeak's commitment to privacy
- Only you can see your profile.
- Every person has to verify their address.
- Every person signs in with their real name. Just like in person.
- Your profile is protected by password and encrypted by HTTPS.
- We never share your info with advertisers.
If you have any questions, you can write to us at email@example.com.
What Personal Information Do We Collect?
We collect Personal Data about you when you provide such information directly to us, when third parties such as our business partners or service providers provide us with Personal Data about you, or when Personal Data about you is automatically collected in connection with your use of PlaceSpeak Services ("Services").
Information we collect directly from you: We receive Personal Data directly from you when you provide us with such Personal Data, including without limitation the following:
- First and last name
- Email address
- Mailing address
- Telephone number
Personal information is never shared with, or displayed to, other visitors or users of the site. PlaceSpeak provides preferences for you to control how your personal information, including your residential address, is shared on the site and who can see your residential location.
Information we receive from third party sources: Some third parties such as our business partners and service providers provide us with Personal Data about you:
- Account information for third party services: If you interact with a third party service when using our Services, such as if you use a third party service to log-in to our Services (e.g., Facebook Connect or Twitter OAuth), or if you share content from our Services through a third party social media service, the third party service will send us information about you, such as information from your public profile, if the third party service and your account settings allow such sharing. The information we receive will depend on the policies and your account settings with the third party service.
The PlaceSpeak website also collects non-personal information for all website visitors. Our servers automatically log information about visits to this website in the normal course of establishing and maintaining web connections. The server logs record statistical information, such as visitors' IP addresses, Device identifiers, time and duration of visit, and pages visited. We collect this information so that we may continuously improve our website content. These statistics are reported in aggregate form only. We do not link server log information to any other data in a way that would enable us to identify individual visitors.
Purposes for Collection, Use, and Disclosure
Any of the information we collect from you may be used to personalize your experience on the PlaceSpeak website, to improve our website based on the information and feedback we receive from you, to process transactions, to administer a survey, and to send periodic emails. The key purpose of PlaceSpeak is to connect you with proponents of consultations in your area that require verification that you reside within specified boundaries.
We will only process your Personal Data if we have a lawful basis for doing so. Lawful basis for processing include consent, contractual necessity and our "legitimate interests" or the legitimate interest of others, as further described below.
a) Contractual Necessity: We process the following categories of Personal Data as a matter of “contractual necessity”, meaning that we need to process the data to perform under our Terms of Service with you, which enables us to provide you with PlaceSpeak services. When we process data due to contractual necessity, failure to provide such Personal Data will result in your inability to use some or all portions of PlaceSpeak that require such data.
- 1. First and last name
- 2. Email address
- 3. Mailing address
- 4. IP Address/GPS Location
b) Consent: In some cases, we process Personal Data based on the consent you expressly grant to us at the time we collect such data. When we process Personal Data based on your consent, it will be expressly indicated to you at the point and time of collection.
c) Other Processing Grounds: From time to time we may also need to process Personal Data to comply with a legal obligation, if it is necessary to protect the vital interests of you or other data subjects, or if it is necessary for a task carried out in the public interest.
How and With Whom Do We Share Your Data
Your personal information will not be sold, exchanged, transferred, or shared with any other company for any reason whatsoever, without your consent, other than for the express purpose of delivering a requested service.
We only share Personal Data when we believe it is necessary to:
- a) Comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies.
- b) Protect us, our business or our users, for example to enforce our terms of service, prevent spam or other unwanted communications and investigate or protect against fraud
- c) Maintain the security of our products and services
We also share information with third parties when you have given us consent to do so (as indicated at the point such information is collected). These parties include:
- Other users (where you post information publicly)
- Social media services (if you interact with them through your use of the Services)
- Third party business partners who you access through PlaceSpeak
Furthermore non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
How Long Do We Retain Your Personal Data?
We retain Personal Data about you as required to fulfill and personalize PlaceSpeak services in accordance with legal and additional compliance requirements. In some cases we retain Personal Data for longer, if doing so is necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes or collect fees owed, or is otherwise permitted or required by applicable law, rule or regulation. Afterwards, we retain some information in a depersonalized or aggregated form but not in a way that would identify you personally.
What Security Measures Do We Use?
We seek to protect Personal Data using appropriate technical and organizational measures based on the type of Personal Data and applicable processing activity. For example, we use encryption and tokenization to keep your Personal data secure.
What Rights Do You Have Regarding Your Personal Data?
You have certain rights with respect to your Personal Data, including those set forth below. For more information about these rights, or to submit a request, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Access: You can request more information about the Personal Data we hold about you and request a copy of such Personal Data.
- Rectification: If you believe that any Personal Data we are holding about you is incorrect or incomplete, you can request that we correct or supplement such data.
- Erasure: You can request that we erase some or all of your Personal Data from our systems.
- Withdrawal of Consent: If we are processing your Personal Data based on your consent (as indicated at the time of collection of such data), you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Please note, however, that if you exercise this right, you may have to then provide express consent on a case-by-case basis for the use or disclosure of certain of your Personal Data, if such use or disclosure is necessary to enable you to utilize some or all of our Services.
- Portability: You can ask for a copy of your Personal Data in a machine-readable format.
- Objection: You can contact us to let us know that you object to the further use or disclosure of your Personal Data for certain purposes.
- Restriction of Processing: You can ask us to restrict further processing of your Personal Data.
Our website has industry standard security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. PlaceSpeak will take all reasonable steps to ensure the safety of your personal information.
Our website contains links to other websites. PlaceSpeak is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such other websites and expressly disclaims all liability associated with your use of and the content of such other sites
Terms and Conditions
Please also visit our Terms and Conditions section establishing the use, disclaimers, andlimitations of liability governing the use of our website.
1005 Cypress St.
Vancouver, BC V6J 3K6
© 2020 PlaceSpeak Inc.
Read more about our business model and commitment to privacy on our About Page