About the role:
Are you a motivated individual with a passion for improving public engagement and connecting residents with decision-makers? Want to support opportunities for citizen participation through civic technology? PlaceSpeak is looking for an energetic and dedicated Research & Planning Assistant to join our growing team.
PlaceSpeak is a location-based smart city civic engagement platform. Every day, we’re building technology that helps people become informed, engaged, and have a say in the communities where they live.
Your goal is to support a range of public engagement projects within the PlaceSpeak platform. You will assist in the development of Neighbourhoods, as well as PlaceSpeak’s Open Data Civic Notifications -- a feature that automatically notifies users of proposed changes occurring in their community. Working with both the Development and Sales and Marketing teams, you will provide vital support for research projects, customer success and business development.
- Assist in the development of PlaceSpeak Neighbourhoods by researching neighbourhood boundaries, liaising with community groups and creating shapefiles using GIS software
- Manage Open Data Civic Notifications feature by monitoring municipal scraper activity and activating new seed topics
- Assist clients with topic consultation setup and provide ongoing customer support
- Prepare and design case studies and promotional material for business development and marketing outreach
- Track and organize account management and client success
- Provide support for research projects
- Contribute written content for Request for Proposals (RFPs)
- Answer office phone and respond to general inquiries from PlaceSpeak users and clients
- Knowledge of planning and development and the public consultation process
- Strong interest in community engagement, public participation and civic tech
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills especially when liaising with clients
- Able to manage multiple priorities in a fast paced environment
- Adept to providing a high level of customer service for our clients
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in geography, political science, or a planning-related discipline
- Experience with GIS software (QGIS)
- Experience with design tools (Adobe Suite: Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator)
- Familiarity with CRM software (Insightly)
- Familiarity with video editing software is a bonus
- Tech savvy and able to pick up new tools quickly (and troubleshoot)
- Familiarity with Skype, Slack, Trello, Google Applications (Mail, Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides)
- Experience with survey tools (LimeSurvey, Survey Monkey)
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Due to the high volume of applications, unfortunately we are unable to respond to all applicants. Only successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Posted Oct. 24, 2016